Elbow Specialist Lititz, PA
As we age, our bones become more fragile, and the risk of fractures and falls increases. Dr. Michael Bercik of Lancaster Orthopedic Group understands the importance of proactive bone health management for older adults in Lititz, PA.
Dr. Bercik graduated Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown University and earned his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. His residency at the Rothman Institute showcased his exceptional patient care skills, underscored by his achievement of the highest score on the Orthopaedic In-training Examination. After completing a trauma fellowship, Dr. Bercik pursued international fellowships in France and Australia, where he further honed his specialization in elbow conditions, learning from renowned mentors.
Proactive Tips for Fall Prevention and Bone Health
Falls can present significant challenges for seniors, but there are practical steps to reduce the risk of falling while preserving bone health. These strategies empower you to enhance your balance, create a safer home environment, and maintain robust bones to remain active and independent. By incorporating these recommendations into daily life, you can enjoy greater peace of mind as you navigate your daily activities.
- Stay Active: Regular physical activity, such as walking, swimming, or gentle strength training, improves balance, flexibility, and muscle strength, reducing the risk of falls.
- Home Safety: To minimize fall risks, modify your living space. This includes installing handrails and grab bars in bathrooms, removing tripping hazards like loose rugs, and ensuring adequate lighting throughout your home.
- Medication Management: Be vigilant about potential side effects of medications, as some can cause dizziness or instability. Consult your healthcare provider if you experience balance issues due to your medications.
- Regular Vision and Hearing Checks: Optimal vision and hearing are essential for spatial awareness and balance. Schedule regular check-ups with eye and ear specialists to maintain these faculties.
- Foot Care: Properly fitted, supportive footwear is crucial. Ensure that your shoes provide stability and have non-slip soles. If you have foot issues, consider using orthotic inserts for additional support.
- Balanced Diet: Consume a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D to support bone health. Dairy products, almonds, leafy greens, and fortified foods are excellent sources of these vital nutrients.
- Stay Hydrated: Proper hydration is crucial for bone health. Drinking enough water helps maintain the flexibility and strength of your bones.
- Nutrition: Adequate calcium intake is essential for bone strength. Dairy products, almonds, leafy greens, and fortified foods are excellent sources. Vitamin D, which assists in calcium absorption, can be obtained through sunlight exposure and supplements if necessary.
- Regular Exercise: Engaging in weight-bearing exercises like walking, dancing, and weightlifting stimulates bone growth and density, contributing to stronger bones.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking has a detrimental impact on bone health and increases the risk of fractures. If you smoke, consider quitting to improve your bone density.
- Limit Alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption can weaken bones. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Bone Density Testing: Regular bone density scans can help monitor bone health and detect osteoporosis early. Consult with your healthcare provider to establish an appropriate screening schedule.
Let’s Work Together
Dr. Michael Bercik, as a dedicated elbow specialist in Lititz, PA, emphasizes the importance of fall prevention and bone health for seniors. By incorporating these tips into your daily life and working closely with healthcare professionals, you can take proactive steps to preserve your bone health, prevent falls, and live a pain-free life. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Bercik today.