Shoulder Doctor East Petersburg, PA
Damage to the shoulder, one of the most intricate joints in the body, can result in discomfort and pain during daily activities such as housework, exercise, and driving. Seeking prompt care from a specialist is crucial when experiencing shoulder pain. If you are residing or working in East Petersburg, PA, Dr. Michael Bercik and our team at Lancaster Orthopedics can provide you with individualized recovery options.
When you sustain a shoulder injury, it is crucial to seek treatment promptly to prevent any further damage to the affected area. After receiving treatment, your orthopedic doctor will recommend exercises and physical therapy to help strengthen, stretch, stabilize, and mobilize the shoulder for successful rehabilitation. Dr. Michael Bercik and our team at Lancaster Orthopedic Group specialize in shoulder ailments and will guide you through every phase of the rehabilitation process.
Dr. Michael Bercik received his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, where he completed a fellowship in Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery. During this fellowship, he acquired advanced techniques for treating acute fractures and post-traumatic complications like nonunions, malunions, infections, and arthritis.
Additionally, Dr. Bercik enhanced his expertise by completing two international fellowships, one at the prestigious Centre Orthopédique Santy in France and another at the Melbourne Shoulder and Elbow Centre and Monash University. Throughout his fellowships, he continued to learn state-of-the-art techniques, combining them with his medical education to sharpen his advanced surgical practices. Dr. Bercik had the opportunity to train under some of the most esteemed surgeons worldwide, including Dr. Gilles Walch.
Shoulder injury prevention in athletes
Shoulder injury prevention techniques for athletes include the following:
- Warm-up and cool-down: Adequate warming up and cooling down can help prepare the shoulder muscles for activity and prevent injury. Warming up can be done with light aerobic exercise, stretching, and shoulder range-of-motion exercises.
- Strengthening exercises: Strengthening the muscles around the shoulder can help provide stability and support to the joint. Exercises such as shoulder presses, rows, and lateral raises can help build strength.
- Proper technique: Athletes should learn and use proper technique when performing their sport or activity to reduce the risk of injury. This includes proper posture, alignment, and mechanics.
- Rest and recovery: Rest is essential for recovery and injury prevention. Athletes should incorporate rest days into their training schedule to allow their muscles and joints to recover.
- Cross-training: Participating in different types of activities can help prevent overuse injuries. Cross-training can help build overall strength, flexibility, and endurance.
- Proper equipment: Using proper equipment, such as shoulder pads, helmets, or other protective gear, can help prevent injuries during contact sports.
- Listen to your body: Athletes should pay attention to their bodies and stop activities if they feel pain or discomfort. Ignoring pain can lead to further injury and longer recovery times.
By incorporating these techniques into their training routine, athletes can reduce their risk of shoulder injuries and perform at their best. It’s also important to work with a sports medicine professional to develop a personalized injury prevention plan that takes into account the athlete’s specific needs and goals.
Ready to get started?
Residents of East Petersburg, PA, can get started with Dr. Bercik to begin working with an expert shoulder doctor. To schedule your first appointment, please click the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or call (866) 564-1000.