Shoulder Doctor Mt Joy, PA
Selecting an orthopedic surgeon with specialized training in shoulder care is crucial to obtaining an accurate diagnosis and accessing advanced treatment options. , a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder surgery, elbow surgery, and orthopedic traumatology, is an excellent choice for Mt Joy, PA residents seeking expert care.
Dr. Bercik’s commitment to excellence is evident in his academic and professional accomplishments. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown University and received his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Dr. Bercik also completed three fellowships, one domestically and two internationally, under some of the most renowned shoulder surgeons worldwide. This extensive training has equipped him with advanced techniques for shoulder and elbow surgery, enabling him to offer innovative methods for quick recoveries and exceptional outcomes.
Dr. Bercik’s dedication to patient care is also noteworthy, having received the Mark D Chilton award for outstanding patient care. He treats every patient with respect, compassion, and dedication, building lasting relationships throughout the treatment process and beyond.
What are the most common shoulder injuries for older adults?
As people age, the risk of developing shoulder injuries increases. Some of the most common shoulder injuries in older adults include:
- Rotator cuff tears: This occurs when one or more of the tendons that attach the rotator cuff muscles to the shoulder bone tear, causing pain and weakness in the shoulder.
- Frozen shoulder: Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition that affects the shoulder joint, causing pain and stiffness. The condition usually develops slowly over time and can last for several months or even years.
- Arthritis: Arthritis can affect any joint in the body, including the shoulder joint. It causes inflammation and pain, making it difficult to move the shoulder.
- Shoulder impingement: Shoulder impingement is a common condition that occurs when the tendons or bursa in the shoulder become pinched or compressed between the bones of the shoulder joint. This can cause pain, weakness, and limited range of motion in the affected shoulder.
- Fractures: Older adults are more prone to shoulder fractures due to osteoporosis, a condition in which bones become brittle and weak.
- Bursitis: Shoulder bursitis is a condition that occurs when the bursa, a small fluid-filled sac located between the bone and soft tissue, becomes inflamed. The bursa in the shoulder joint can become irritated due to repetitive overhead movements, trauma, or other underlying conditions.
- Tendinitis: This occurs when the tendons in the shoulder become inflamed, causing pain and weakness in the shoulder.
It is important for older adults to seek medical attention if they experience any shoulder pain or discomfort, as early intervention can help prevent further damage and improve outcomes. A shoulder specialist can provide an accurate diagnosis and develop a personalized treatment plan to address the specific needs of each patient.
Let’s get started!
Residents of Mt Joy, PA, can find convenient access to an expert shoulder doctor by contacting Dr. Michael Bercik at Lancaster Orthopedic Group. To get started, please click the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or call (866) 564-1000.