Shoulder Fracture Surgery Lancaster, PA
Shoulder fractures are a complex injury that requires precise and expert care, especially when surgery is involved. Dr. Michael Bercik, a leading orthopedic surgeon in Lancaster, PA, specializes in shoulder fracture surgery. With his extensive training and experience, Dr. Bercik is dedicated to providing the highest quality of care for patients suffering from shoulder fractures.
Types of Shoulder Fractures
Shoulder fractures typically involve the clavicle (collarbone), the scapula (shoulder blade), or the proximal humerus (upper arm bone). They can result from various causes such as falls, sports injuries, or direct impacts and can range from simple breaks to complex, multi-fragmented fractures.
- Clavicle Fractures: Common among all age groups, often caused by a fall onto the shoulder.
- Scapula Fractures: Relatively rare and usually the result of high-energy trauma.
- Proximal Humerus Fractures: Common in older adults, particularly those with osteoporosis.
Dr. Bercik’s Approach
Dr. Bercik’s approach to treating shoulder fractures is patient-centric and involves a thorough assessment and personalized treatment plan. Accurate diagnosis is critical in determining the appropriate surgical approach. Dr. Bercik employs advanced imaging techniques like X-rays and CT scans to assess the type and severity of the fracture. Pre-surgical evaluation also involves understanding the patient’s overall health, activity level, and specific needs.
The decision to proceed with surgery and the choice of technique depends on various factors, including the fracture type, bone quality, and the patient’s lifestyle.
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF): This procedure involves repositioning the bone fragments into their normal alignment and securing them with plates, screws, or rods.
- Shoulder Replacement Surgery: In cases of severe fractures, especially in older adults with poor bone quality, a partial or total shoulder replacement might be necessary.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: For certain types of fractures, Dr. Bercik may perform minimally invasive surgery, which involves smaller incisions and typically results in quicker recovery times.
Post-Surgical Care and Rehabilitation
Recovery from shoulder fracture surgery is a critical phase where Dr. Bercik’s comprehensive care continues. Immediate post-operative care includes:
- Pain Management: Effective strategies to manage pain post-surgery.
- Immobilization: Use of slings or braces to protect the shoulder as it heals.
Rehabilitation is vital for regaining strength and mobility in the shoulder. Dr. Bercik works closely with physical therapists to develop customized rehabilitation plans for each patient.
- Physical Therapy: Begins with gentle exercises, gradually progressing to more intensive exercises to strengthen the shoulder and restore range of motion.
- Ongoing Monitoring: Regular follow-up appointments with Dr. Bercik to monitor the healing process and adjust the rehabilitation plan as needed.
Factors Influencing Surgical Outcomes
Several factors can influence the outcome of shoulder fracture surgery:
- Age and Bone Quality: Older adults with osteoporosis may have different surgical requirements and recovery expectations compared to younger patients with healthier bone density.
- Type and Severity of the Fracture: More complex fractures may require advanced surgical techniques and longer recovery periods.
- Patient Compliance: Adherence to post-operative care instructions and active participation in rehabilitation are crucial for optimal recovery.
Get Started Today
Shoulder fracture surgery, while complex, can lead to successful outcomes with the right surgical approach and post-operative care. Choosing Dr. Bercik for shoulder fracture surgery means receiving care from a surgeon who combines surgical expertise with a compassionate approach. His dedication to each patient’s well-being, from initial consultation through surgery and rehabilitation, ensures a supportive and effective healing journey. If you or a loved one needs shoulder surgery in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bercik today!