Shoulder Specialist Campbelltown, PA
For those experiencing shoulder discomfort or pain, it can feel like a long road to recovery. At Lancaster Orthopedic Group, we make your recovery experience simple. Dr. Michael Bercik is an expert shoulder specialist who will provide you with a comprehensive consultation and personalized care plan to guide you from diagnosis to recovery. For residents of Campbelltown, PA, waste no time in scheduling your first appointment.
Dr. Michael Bercik is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who has spent years mastering advanced techniques to provide high-quality shoulder and elbow care. When you visit Lancaster Orthopedic Group, you can expect individualized attention, motivated medical professionals, and state-of-the-art rehabilitation technology.
Exercises to reduce shoulder impingement
Shoulder impingement is a common condition where tendons in the shoulder rub against the shoulder pain. While it is best to discuss your condition with a shoulder specialist to rule out complications and alternative sources of discomfort, these at home stretches can help to reduce pain experienced from this condition.
- Squeeze the scapula. Perform this exercise by squeezing your shoulder blades together and holding for 5 to 15 seconds. Repeat 5 to 15 times.
- Chest stretch. Placing your forearms on either side of a door frame, step forward until you feel your shoulder blades move together and stretch across the front of your chest. Hold for 5 to 15 seconds and repeat 5 to 15 times.
- Shoulder push and pull. Hold your arms out in front of you so they are parallel to the ground. Move your arms forward and backward on this plane so that your shoulders are the source of the movement. You should essentially be creating space between your shoulder blades by moving the shoulders forward, and then squeezing your shoulder blades together as you move the shoulder backward. Repeat 10 times.
- Overhead door frame stretch. Reach upward and place one hand on the top of the doorframe. Take a step forward until you feel a gentle stretch across the front of the shoulder. Hold for 5 to 15 seconds and repeat 5 to 15 times.
- Across chest stretch. Reach one arm across the front of your body and use your other arm to gently pull it closer to your chest. You should feel a stretch in the muscles across the back of the shoulder. Hold for 5 to 15 seconds and repeat 5 to 15 times.
- Lying side external rotations. Lie on your side and bend your top arm’s elbow to 90 degrees. Hold a light weight if you are able. Keeping the upper arm against the body, gently rotate the shoulder so the hand moves toward the ceiling. Repeat 5 to 15 times on each side.
- Standing side external rotations. Attach one end of a resistance band to a sturdy surface and stand sideways, holding the other end of the resistance band in your far hand. Bend the far elbow to 90 degrees. Keeping the upper arm against the body, gently rotate the shoulder so the hand moves away from the body. Repeat 5 to 15 times on each side.
Ready to begin?
If you are experiencing discomfort in the shoulder, the best thing to do is seek the advice of a shoulder specialist. For residents of Campbelltown, PA, Dr. Michael Bercik and our orthopedic team at Lancaster Orthopedic Group are conveniently located and have decades of experience providing patients with expert care. To schedule your first appointment, use the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or call (866) 564-1000.