Shoulder Specialist Columbia, PA
Shoulder specialists can help you with everything from everyday aches and pains to sports injuries and more. At Lancaster Orthopedic Group, Dr. Michael Bercik helps Columbia, PA, residents reduce pain and improve their movement ability.
Dr. Michael Bercik is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who has spent years completing subspecialty training in shoulder and elbow surgery and traumatology. For his residency, Dr. Bercik specialized in orthopedic surgery to gain a broad understanding of the field. He then specialized through three fellowships.
To complete his fellowship in Trauma and Reconstructive surgery, Dr. Bercik returned to Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, where he completed his medical degree. This fellowship taught him the most modern techniques for treating acute fractures and post-traumatic complications such as nonunions, malunions, infections, and arthritis.
By completing several fellowships under different guidance, Dr. Bercik has developed a well-rounded skill set that allows him to think outside the box. Patients can expect comprehensive and innovative treatment plans to help them achieve their goals.
Five stretches to loosen tight shoulders
Tight shoulders can lead to pain and stiffness in the upper body. Shoulders can become tight for several reasons, including stress, bad posture, activity, and injury. When stretching to loosen tight shoulders, it is crucial to ensure you are not injured. Speaking with a shoulder specialist can rule out any underlying causes of shoulder tightness and ensure stretching will not damage the tissue or cause complications. However, for most people, shoulder tightness can benefit from at-home stretches to release tension and improve overall well-being.
If you are confident an underlying injury does not cause your shoulder tightness, follow these five at-home stretches. Each stretch is designed to increase your range of motion and promote optimal health in your shoulder.
- Shoulder rolls: Stand upright, keeping your shoulders neutral. Roll your shoulder in backward and forward circles ten times each way.
- Shoulder raises: Stand upright, keeping your shoulders neutral. Raise your shoulders as far toward your ears as you are able. Hold for 10 seconds and bring the shoulders back to neutral. Repeat ten times.
- Shoulder to ear: Stand upright and keep your shoulders neutral. Keep your shoulders square while moving your right ear toward your right shoulder. You should feel a stretch in the left side of the neck. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat on each side.
- Arm lifts: Stand upright and bring your hands in front of your hips. Your arms should be slightly bent. Keep the body straight and raise your hands to reach towards the ceiling. Lower the hands back to your hips. Repeat ten times.
- Wide-legged forward fold: Step your feet wide and face your toes inwards. Keep the leg muscles engaged. Bend at the hips and let the hands hang down towards, relaxing the shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Let’s Get Started!
Dr. Michael Bercik is a board-certified shoulder specialist who is passionate about helping the Pennsylvania community improve their movement and everyday quality of life. For residents of Columbia, schedule your first appointment today at Lancaster Orthopedic Group. To get started, please click the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or call (866) 564-1000.