Shoulder Specialist Mohnton, PA
Whether you are an elite athlete or a self-proclaimed couch potato, working with a shoulder specialist can help you improve your movement ability and restore function to your shoulders and arms. Dr. Michael Bercik helps Mohnton, PA residents move and feel their best.
Dr. Michael Bercik is a board-certified orthopedic shoulder specialist with advanced knowledge in his field. He has spent years of experience mastering the modern and complex techniques to offer his patients the best care available.
When you come to Lancaster Orthopedic Group, you can expect to be met with a team that is dedicated to your success, well-versed with state-of-the-art equipment, and compassionate to your journey. At Lancaster Orthopedic Group, you are part of a community of patients and professionals dedicated to achieving their goals.
Shoulder exercises you can do at your desk
When you sit all day at a desk, it can be difficult to make time to move your body. While going on a walk or taking 30 to 60 minutes to exercise won’t be replaced by at-desk stretches, stretching at your desk can be a powerful tool to reduce stiffness, relieve forward posture, and limit shoulder pain. Here are three simple exercises that can be performed without leaving the office (or your desk chair!).
Lateral neck stretch (flexion)
Lateral neck stretches target the scalene and trapezius muscles. These muscles help support our posture and healthy cardiovascular function. To perform this stretch follow these steps:
- Sit upright in your desk chair
- Reach your right hand over your head to your left ear
- Gently pull the head so your right ear moves toward your right shoulder
- Hold this position so you feel a stretch alongside the left side of the neck
- Hold for 30 seconds (or as long as able) and gently release
- Repeat on both sides 2-3 times
Reverse shoulder stretch
This stretch opens the chest muscles, stretches the biceps, and stretches the shoulders. To perform this stretch, follow these steps:
- Sit upright in your chair. You may need to stand or move to the edge of your chair so you have room behind you.
- Look forward and clasp the hands behind your back (thumbs point toward the floor)
- Open the chest by squeezing your shoulder blades together and moving your hands away from your body
- Hold this stretch for up to 30 seconds
- Release and repeat 2 to 5 times
I, T, Y position
Strengthening the shoulder muscles is just as important as stretching them to increase stability in the shoulders. To perform these movements, follow these steps:
- Stand in front of a wall
- Raise your arms above your head and against the wall
- Put the hands together so you are in an “I” position
- Gently pull the arms backward away from the wall so you feel a stretch in your upper back and shoulders
- Hold for up to 30 seconds
- Return the hands to the wall
- Repeat with the arms in a “T” and a “Y” position
Ready to begin?
Interested in working with a shoulder specialist near Mohnton, PA? Dr. Michael Bercik at Lancaster Orthopedic Group is here to help. Take your first step by scheduling your first appointment today. To get started, schedule an appointment at Lancaster Orthopedic Group by using the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or calling (866) 564-1000.