Shoulder Specialist Reading, PA
Because of the complexities of the shoulder, it is important to find an orthopedic practitioner who specializes in ailments of the shoulder. If you live or work in Reading, PA, and are in need of a shoulder specialist, look no further than Dr. Michael Bercik and our team at Lancaster Orthopedics.
Dr. Michael Bercik is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in conditions of the shoulder and elbow, as well as orthopedic traumatology. Dr. Bercik has completed two international fellowships in France and Australia. For one of these fellowships, Dr, Bercik worked under Dr. Gilles Walch, who is considered to be one of the most influential shoulder surgeons in the world. Through this fellowship, Dr. Bercik was able to learn the most advanced techniques in modern shoulder medicine and bring these back to his practice here in the States.
Outside of fellowships, Dr. Bercik has been published in multiple peer-reviewed journal articles as well as several book chapters. Dr. Bercik has a broad range of experience that enables him to treat patients with the latest methods and create personalized approaches tailored to individual patients’ needs.
Common Shoulder Injuries
Because of the complexity of the shoulder joint, injuries are common. Type of activity, and whether the injury stems from age or illness, affects the type of injury to the shoulder and the best treatment methods. Some common causes of shoulder pain are as follows:
- Rotator Cuff Tear: The rotator cuff is a group of soft tissues that stabilizes the shoulder and allows you to rotate your arm fully overhead. This group of muscles can be damaged through overuse injuries, which are commonly seen in baseball or other throwing sports, or through wear and tear of aging.
- Impingement: This is due to a tendon in the rotator cuff becoming pinched between the bones of the shoulder. It causes swelling and pain and can be triggered by repeatedly lifting your arm overhead.
- Frozen Shoulder: This condition is due to abnormal bands of tissue building up in the shoulder joint. This restricts movement of the arm. If you use your shoulder less due to discomfort or other ailments, this happens more frequently.
- Bursitis: The bursa is a fluid-filled sac that provides a cushion for the joint. It can become irritated and swell due to an injury or overuse.
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that affects the joints, including the shoulder joint. When you have this, the cartilage between the bones breaks down and the bones rub against one another, causing pain and irritation. Mobility will be limited.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Another common type of arthritis that causes shoulder pain is rheumatoid arthritis. This is when your immune system attacks the lining of your joints and can cause pain and limited movement ability.
Ready to Begin?
Residents of Reading, PA, can feel confident in trusting Dr. Michael Bercik with their orthopedic shoulder needs. Our team will provide you with a comprehensive consultation and treatment plan and walk you through each stage of the process. When looking for a shoulder specialist, you can rest assured our team is dedicated to patient success. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Bercik, please click the “Schedule An Appointment” link in the top right of the website or call (866) 564-1000.