Treatment of Elbow Injuries Lebanon, PA
Elbow injuries can be painful and debilitating, affecting daily activities and hindering one’s quality of life. When facing such injuries, it’s essential to explore various treatment options to find the most effective and least invasive approach for recovery. While surgery may be necessary for certain cases, there are alternative treatments that patients can consider before opting for surgery. Dr. Michael Bercik at Lancaster Orthopedic Group, an esteemed orthopedic specialist in Lebanon, PA, offers a comprehensive range of treatment options to address elbow injuries and provides personalized care to help patients regain optimal function and mobility.
Dr. Michael Bercik earned his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, and he further specialized in Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery during his fellowship. This invaluable training equipped him with advanced techniques to address acute fractures and complications from post-traumatic conditions, such as nonunions, malunions, infections, and arthritis.
Dr. Bercik pursued two international fellowships at esteemed institutions to elevate his expertise. The first was at the Centre Orthopédique Santy in France, where he studied under the guidance of renowned surgeon Dr. Gilles Walch. The second fellowship was at the Melbourne Shoulder and Elbow Centre and Monash University in Australia. Throughout both fellowships, Dr. Bercik continued to expand his knowledge of state-of-the-art techniques, integrating them with his medical education to refine his advanced surgical practices.
5 Conservative Treatments for Elbow Injuries
In many cases, elbow injuries can be effectively managed with conservative treatments, allowing patients to avoid surgical intervention. These treatments aim to reduce pain, inflammation and promote healing through non-invasive means. Here are 5 examples of conservative treatments:
- Rest and Immobilization: Resting the affected arm and avoiding activities exacerbating the injury can give the elbow time to heal. Immobilizing the elbow with a brace or splint may also help reduce strain on the injured area.
- Ice and Heat Therapy: Applying ice packs to the injured elbow can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. Later in the recovery process, heat therapy may promote blood flow and ease muscle tension.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen or naproxen can help relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is a valuable conservative treatment for elbow injuries. Skilled physical therapists can create personalized rehabilitation programs focusing on strengthening the surrounding muscles, improving flexibility, and enhancing joint stability. Physical therapy helps patients regain function and range of motion and return to their daily activities.
- Corticosteroid Injections: In some cases, corticosteroid injections may be used to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. These injections deliver potent anti-inflammatory medication directly to the injured area.
The Importance of Individualized Care
When it comes to treating elbow injuries, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Each patient’s condition is unique, and what works for one individual may not be suitable for another. Dr. Michael Bercik understands the importance of individualized care and takes the time to thoroughly evaluate each patient’s condition, medical history, and lifestyle to create a personalized treatment plan. He believes in exhausting conservative treatment options before considering surgery and only recommends surgery when it is best for the patient’s long-term recovery and well-being.
Let’s Work Together!
Elbow injuries can significantly impact a person’s life, making it essential to explore various treatment options before considering surgery. Dr. Michael Bercik at Lancaster Orthopedic Group offers a comprehensive range of treatments, including conservative therapies, regenerative medicine, and alternative therapies, to address elbow injuries effectively. With his extensive expertise and dedication to individualized care, patients can trust Dr. Bercik to provide the most suitable treatment plan that prioritizes their well-being and recovery.